First of all, I want to say that I am not really good doing critical commentaries, principally because I think I get really involved in what I think I agree or disagree with so, I will request feedback after posting this.
In the video, during the first minutes, I will say that I feel that thought Mr. Giroux has some reason while talking about the path education is following these days I also disagree a certain level with his romantic view of how education must be.
"There is a need to use education to mobilize students to critically engage agents, attentive to addressing important social issues..." I agree with what he says here because it is not possible to ignore the importance of telling the younger ones that things do not change just because you want it. The world is not that easy and without a real interaction with these problematics things like low quality of education and few spots in high-level education will keep going until everything is owned by the hands of the powerful ones.
But I also think that the way in which he talks about this is also quite uncomfortable because it reminds me of someone that wants to convince to lead, not to just inform and give courage. This is just my impression of hearing his tone. And, coming back to what I said about his idealized view of the education, I do really think that he truly believes that most people care about the future of our school and universities. But, at the same time is quite naive to think that something like that can be changed just by pointing out all the bad sides of the problematics.
"The worst dimension of power is when it makes itself invisible." This quote is also really interesting. He puts in a spotlight how education and people with good ideas and thoughts are easily put aside by the words and actions of others with more influence. Most of the time because the ignorance implicated in sharing and making strong relationships with people how really care about a change are lacking something.
Lastly to say that in this quote "Young black men...are guilty of criminal behavior not because of crimes the might commit but because they are the product of a collective imagination paralyzed by the racism of a white supremacist culture that can only view them as a dangerous nightmare." I think he stands out a really good point regarding social division because of skin color or ethnic. Showing that color does not reduce your ability to question and criticize the events in the world and the problematics of our environments.
Finally, I want to point out that I enjoyed most of the talk of Mr.Giroux, the only problem for me was that sometimes he talked too much and become redundant or very intense about a specific topic. But at last, He made think about how I see the education and what I am going to do to give something to others to see things differents from me too.
Suscribirse a:
Enviar comentarios (Atom)
Homeschooling: an educational alternative
Traditional schools have always been top in the educational system. For years, formal education has been referred as the only sort of educ...
-
Bodner (1988) states that students " are unable to apply their knowledge outside the narrow domain in which they learned". Whic...
-
There are many types of barriers which affect our critical thinking. Misunderstandings of what is meant by criticism, lack of practice, relu...
-
Is homeschooling a good educational alternative? Traditional schools have always been in top of the educational system. Formal educatio...
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario